Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Just another dry leaf that has fallen from the tree.

I had a dreadfully eye-opening conversation with my dad a few days ago - a general summary of what he told me:

"You've made so much progress thus far, but I can't understand how you'll possibly survive in the real world. You remember the history very well but forget all appointments, you're room is organized but life is entirely disorganized, and you are stuck in these one-sided generalizations about work and love. The frustrating thing is, though that you refuse to acknowledge them and work on these issues. You're driving yourself into a deep depression,you're creating a handicap for yourself where you'll be incapable of working. On personal front you've been spending like a lifetime in an imaginary world. You've lost some of the best time of your life doing so and even lost warmth of many people.It is up to YOU to decide what you believe, whatever those beliefs are. So don't sell yourself short."

I've had such big dreams for years, and if his words are entirely accurate, and I do nothing about this, then I will be incapable of accomplishing those big dreams.

I hate to admit it, but I do see some fact behind his words. He means well (even though the general statement above is a bit harsh) and he wants nothing but the best for me. Let's face it: I'm awful on the phone, I have difficulty scheduling appointments and calling back people (and furthermore, knowing when to do so), and I can't understand people's expectations unless they explicitly tell me what these expectations are.

As young adults, we often feel that we can change the world the possibilities are endless but easily outnumber the opportunities. Those plans usually all come crashing down around us once we realize that we have to work as part of a team. A team that usually won't have the same goals as us. The sad fact is that by the time you reach a position of power, you're usually a "business thinker" and the spark of innovation or risk taking is gone. Even aspies who do reach a certain level of power often find that they have to either relinquish that power or accept that others simply won't do the same quality work that they expect.

Of course, I would ideally like to run my own business to not be beat down by a higher authority (this is what gets to me), but doing this even involves skills that I don't yet have or they haven't revealed themselves to me. I'm taking my traits into consideration when doing this - and it really is possible - a solitary environment where I'm surrounded by my own creativity and a few close employees and business partners is really all I need.

On personal front I just want a life spending with people who understand the importance of my principles for me and help me always keeping them intact. I don't expect people to be my crutches, rather they should be my strength.

I'm still young, so there's still time, right? If I start now, hopefully I'll be okay. I would be interested in hearing about others' experiences with adjusting to the work and personal world, if anyone reading this is interested in sharing do share.

No comments: