Saturday, November 7, 2009

When I was asked "Are you a stud?"

I was just back from my hourly stroll that I take around usually every hour in office, Then my 'reporting manager' informed me that our manager was looking for me. I asked for what? he replied I don't know but he was in good mood and then I said how does it bother to me if he is in good mood or bad and if he needs me he would come again looking for me and I settled down at my cubical and in few moments I was completely engrossed in my work with ear phones plugged to my ears. After a while I saw someone waving a hand towards me that brought me back to the world & to my realization I saw that it was my manager. I removed the earphones and flaunted a smile towards him, then I was asked to see him in a meeting room near to his cabin in 5 min.

Thoughts started pouring in then, why has he called me? Is it that I'm gonna be shifted to some other project? or is it that some CR fixed by me failed? and many more ranging to very very far away. I took a sip from my bottle of water and went to the meeting room and I was followed by my manager.

Inside the room conversation started:

Me: So what is it about?
He: I know you have been working really hard lately. I have received many good feedback's from other managers from various teams with whom you have worked over past one year. and I must say you are one brilliant guy and have shown great level dedication to make you stand apart from all in team and form people of your caliber.
Me: Ohh!! I'm delighted to hear it. (with a smile)
He: You would be aware that PMP has started and I was supposed to have a 1-2-1 with you. That's the reason I have called you.
Me: But I was not informed about this 1-2-1 earlier!! and I'm not prepared to market myself right now.
He: (Laughed and said) Don't worry. I'm aware of all that you have done and are capable of.
Me: But still I'm supposed to market my self at the year end 1-2-1.
He: you don't need to. You have performed extraordinarily well. You have followed all the process have innovated a lot, taken tasks with complete ownership. And don't worry every one including me is aware of it.
Me: Well then... so why are we into this 1-2-1 then?
He: It is just that I had to ask you if you have any issues? and one more question (he smiled).
Me: I have no issues with team or quality of work. I enjoy great freedom in work and I'm thankful for it to my reporting manager. It's just that I need more support on quantity of work. I mean I'm really overburdened from past few months. Still I'm able to survive, but don't know till when.
He: Ohh!! and I have called you for it.
Me: So what now?
He: Tell me, Are you a STUD? (with a wink)
Me: What do you mean by it?
He: Are you a STUD? Are you capable all of it that comes to you and your team?
Me: Hmmm... I guess I have never said no to anyone. and have met all the deadlines without any hiccups how stringent they have been. And hope the same in future.
He: Good!! I knew you are a STUD. You're capable of everything. And I'm even more delighted to have you in my team. You know in initial days I used to think, this guy leaves office daily so early and always has earphone into his ears, he is never interested in any discussions, and talks so less, so is he worth? But as days passed I started getting the results from you and that started building my faith in you.And soon I realized it's his way of working.
Me: I guess you got it right.
He: Yes!!

Then came in the reward. What was it? I'm not supposed to discuss it as it is supposed to be under the table, but yes it was one thing I never expected it. And soon meeting got over. It left me thinking that I have still not put in my 100% in my job still I have made a mark to distinguish my self from the rest, so if someday i start giving in 100% what am I capable of.And it made one thing very clear to me drawing boundaries with work and life is a good thing but being honest to work is the most important.This incident mad me feel more confident at least on the professional front, and yes mad me realize one thing with little devotion and honesty anyone can be a 'STUD'!!

No comments: